Friday, October 1, 2010

In praise of the CBC

If there's one thing in this world that would inspire me to go out and see the rest of Canada, it would be Song Quest 2010 on CBC Radio 2. Song Quest 2010 asks listeners to nominate the roads (and by extension, the regions) that they want to be celebrated in song. An artist from each of the 13 provinces and territories will create a song for the most awe-inspiring stretch of road from each province/territory. 
I doubt if any of us have enough moments in our lifetimes to take in the soul and beauty of this great country. The closest that I can get to personally explore all of this Canada is by listening to Bob Makowitz, Tom Power, Kelly Catreras (spelling?), Rich Terfry, et al, plus the listeners who call in and/or write (passionately) on their thoughts on their favourite roads. 
The Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, the Dempster Highway in the Yukon, Roncesvalles Avenue in Toronto, the Louis Riel Trail in Saskatchewan, St. Catherine Street in Montreal, to mention a few, are places I would like to experience. 
I can hardly wait for the release of  the songs created by the 13 artists!

1 comment:

  1. Son Quest is awesome. I've thoroughly enjoyed listening my way through it, even though my choice for Ontario was the Highway of Heroes, rather than the more pedestrian (see what I did there?) Roncesvalles Avenue.

    Great bunch of songs though.

    ReplyDelete

POPULAR POSTS