Friday, April 13, 2018

Sony Diaries #1003: The best-kept secret in the Full Frame world

Ever since I switched to Sony (from Canon), I have enjoyed (and employed) the many excellent features of Sony's unique SLT technology. Seldom mentioned is the fact that Sony has kept the Minolta mount, now known as the Sony Alpha mount. This means that one can use Minolta lenses, world-renowned for their superior image and build quality. Minolta lenses possess excellent optics in almost-all metal barrels. There is also the mystical "Minolta Colors", that I can definitely discern.
One of the best-kept secrets in the world of Full-Frame cameras is the cultish status of the legendary Minolta 70-210F4 Beercan. Still available on eBay and occasionally on Kijiji and Craigslist, it can be had for as low as $100CDN. 
I was fortunate to obtain my second copy off of Kijiji just yesterday, for $130CDN, boxed, and what looks like in never-used condition. This copy is incredibly sharp, Minolta colours. Being a screw drive lens, I expected  the focus ito be relatively sluggish (and hunts a bit) on my a99. But on the a7III, focus is snappy almost as if it was a native lens!!
I feel like I just won a small lottery!

No comments:

Post a Comment

POPULAR POSTS