Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Paediatric Palliative Photography (PPP), Part 2 of 4: Equipment

Part 2: Photo Equipment
In the hands of a capable shooter, any equipment will suffice. Ideally, any gear should be an extension of one’s mind, eyes, and fingers. Setting adjustments should come naturally and quickly, like a pianist not having to look down at the keys. As such, any gear that the photographer is comfortable with is suitable gear. However, there are some features that I consider to be must-haves:
  1. silent shutter (a truly silent shutter, NOT just a quiet shutter),
  2. Live View with a tilt or articulating electronic screen,
  3. at least 2 fast primes: 24mmm, 50mm (f1.4, f2.8 minimum)
  4. a mid-range zoom with a macro feature, e.g., Sony 24-105F4
A silent shutter is ideal, for obvious reasons. The moments of reflection that go along with the grieving process shouldn’t be interrupted by the click-clack of the shutter. A silent shutter, in combination with an articulating screen allows for shooting where the camera doesn't have to be brought to the photographer's eyes. People instinctively "get ready” for a photo to be taken when the photographer brings the camera to his eyes; shooting while the camera is at waist-level allows for natural “poses”. Grabbing shots when the subjects are unaware captures unguarded moments.
A 2-sec shot burst can cover a wide range of facial expressions; letting off a burst as if one is shooting a sporting event can be very upsetting.

I've been a Sony user for the last 12 years. My main body is a Sony A7III. Although the Sony menu is known as the most counterintuitive in the camera industry, I've managed to customize my settings to the point where I can change them as soon as I want to. I have gotten to the ideal situation where the camera is now a neural extension of my mind. Shooting in RAW+JPG mode means I have the best possible image available (RAW), as well as an image (JPG) I can quickly send to my phone to be quickly sent to whoever needs it right away. Face and Eye Focus is so precise that faces are always in focus if desired.

The Sony 24-105F4 is extremely sharp wide open, and the vast majority of my photos are at F4. The high dynamic range and low noise even at ISO12800 means that every lighting situation is covered. 
The fast F1.4 primes are nice to have for a really shallow depth of field. My primes are extremely sharp wide open as well, although the depth of field at F1.4 is so shallow I shoot at F2.2 just to make sure I don't miss my point of focus.
Finally, it is nice, but not essential, to have a small flash, to be used as fill-flash for outdoor shots. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

POPULAR POSTS